The 1975 UFO Chronology
The Walton abduction, encounters with aircraft, SAC overflights and NORAD on top alert...all in 1975
Map of sightings for 1975, courtesy of Larry Hatch's "U" Database (Pending)

Created: June 15, 2007
As of this posting this is a 30-page chronology of UFO incidents and events for 1975. Our thanks for these chronologies must go to our documentation team: Richard Hall (UFO Evidence I & II), William Wise (Project Blue Book Archive), Dan Wilson (archive researcher), Brad Sparks (Comprehensive Catalog of Project Blue Book Unknowns), and Jean Waskiewicz (online NICAP DBase [NSID]). The most important part of this chronology would not be possible without the help and earlier works of Barry Greenwood and Larry Fawcett.

Over a period of about three weeks in October and November of 1975, several Strategic Air Command (SAC) bases in the northern tier states were placed on a high priority (Security Option 3) alert because of repeated intrusions of unidentified aircraft flying at low altitude over atomic weapons storage areas. The Commander-in-Chief of North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) sent a four-part message to NORAD units on November 11, 1975 summarizing the events: "Since 28 Oct 75 numerous reports of suspicious objects have been received at the NORAD CU; reliable military personnel at Loring AFB, Maine, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan, Malmstrom AFB, Mt, Minot AFB, ND, and Canadian Forces Station, Falconbridge, Ontario, Canada have visually sighted suspicious objects." A teletype message to the National Military Command Center in Washington, D.C., said: "The A/C [aircraft] definitely penetrated the LAFB [Loring Air Force Base] northern perimeter and on one occasion was within 300 yards of the munitions storage area perimeter."

Note official documents cited below with appropriate incident reports beginning in late October, plus the NORAD Command Director's Log (1975) listing the incidents in zulu time which we later converted in our chrono below to local time to show the sequence of events. Note also that the Air Force admitted destroying the documents regarding the Malmstrom incidents! Click here to access only the The 1975 SAC Base Northern Tier Overflights....or continue below and watch this blockbuster year unfold.

Francis Ridge
NICAP Site Coordinator/Nuclear Connection Project

The 1975 UFO Chronology
Areas equipped for investigation as of this date. Map prepared by Center for UFO Studies shows MUFON and CUFOS investigators..

January - March, 1975; Algeria, Africa
The UFOs in this report were seen by multiple witnesses. The objects landed and took off. They were also spotted on radar and seen visually simultaneously. Message sent to Henry Kissinger, from the American embassy in Algiers, Algeria.

Jan. 1, 1975; Quintanaortuno, Spain
6:25 a.m. Four soldiers at a military base saw a luminous yellow-white cone-shaped object descend at a high rate of speed and hover near their car. The object went dark. Soon four more UFOs appeared, forming a row "emitting jets of white light downward." Traces were found and photographed at the site. (Sources: Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos, Catalogue of 200 Type-I UFO Events in Spain and Portugal, case 199; Skylook, April 1975, p. 1).

Jan. 1, 1975; Kankakee, IL
9:00 p.m. Two witnesses (William Caldwell) reported that a "large, orange ball" with the apparent size of the full moon was observed from their car, 15-20 degrees above the horizon. Also seen at Keyesport, IL at about 9:20 p.m. (Debbie Jannett). Reported by another observer at Belleville, IL at same time, but this time the object reportedly landed (James Williams). MUFON's Walt Andrus told reporters the Moon wasn't visible at the time. (SL-89,10)

Jan. 2, 1975; Navarra, Spain
Dome-shaped object observed on ground by guard at Air Force base. Body lights visible, ground illuminated as object took off (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section II).

Jan. 2, 1975; Kauai, HI
Photo of Saturn-shaped object with squarish ring, similar to July 7, 1989, case (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section VII).

Jan. 2, 1975; Baltimore, MD
7:35 p.m., John Goode and his wife Margy were driving in their car on the Baltimore Beltway near Route 83 when they saw four bright white lights to the west of Route 83. The lights were traveling in a glide-like motion that Mr. Goode described as "like a gliding ladder." In his many travels with the Air Force, Goode had never seen anything of this nature before. Mr. Goode pulled his car off the highway and rolled down the windows for a clear view of the lights. The lights were moving towards them and when the lights were viewed from the front a triangular formation was seen. During the approximate five minutes that the lights were in view they heard no sound and they were able to compare them with passing aircraft. The lights were larger and brighter than the stars and were moving more slowly that the an aircraft. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, February 1975, pages 1-2)

Jan. 2, 1975; Baltimore, MD
7:45 p.m. At Finksburg, about 20 miles west of Baltimore, Mr. Kenneth C. Ryan, an electrical engineer and a private pilot, went to his back door to let the dog in. He immediately noticed four very bright lights about 10 degrees above the horizon in the southwest sky. Ryan notice that the lights were moving. As the lights came closer Ryan saw that each of the four lights were really three lights, and that there were a total of twelve. He was now aware that the lights were on a path that would bring them almost directly over his home. When the lights got closer he decided to get his binoculars (7X35) and see if he could observe an outline or shape around the light sources. Looking through the binoculars all Ryan could see were the lights and no supporting framework. The lights passed almost directly overhead in perfect formation and no sound was heard. Ryan observed the lights for approximately 5 minutes before they passed out of view in the northwest.
(Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, February 1975, pages 1-2)

Jan. 3, 1975; Cape Girardeau, MO
8:30 p.m. Dr. Harley Rutledge logged this report in his book. He and his wife saw an object emerge from behind trees, left to right. Described as semi-convex, self illuminated with dim yellow light on top. 3 secs. (Project Investigation, p 195)

Jan. 4, 1975; Mariemont, OH
Close Encounter II listed by CUFOS. No details.

Jan. 5, 1975; Laulne, Manche Department, France
6:50 p.m. A domed disc with three landing gear legs, 15 meters long with portholes, took off from a landing on a farm. It left behind ground imprint marks and an odor like petroleum. There were three adult witnesses named LeClere, Vildier, and Richard; and the event lasted 20 minutes. The three large landing pod imprints formed an irregularly spaced triangle 1m x 1.6m x 2.5m. (Sources: Roland Godefroy, Phenomenes Spatiaux, March 1975, p. 9).

Jan. 5, 1975; Mt. Vernon, IL
Close Encounter I listed by CUFOS. Two witnesses. No other details.

Jan. 5, 1975; Mt. Vernon, OH
CE-1. No other details. (CUFOS)

Jan. 5, 1975; Bloomington, IL
CE-1, one witness. No other details (CUFOS)

Jan. 5, 1975; Brownstown, IL
2:30 p.m. 15-year old David Mahon was behind his house photographing his dog when he heard a loud drone and saw a black disc-shaped object passing over. He took 5 photographs; then he felt himself drawn upward, & lost consciousness. He reportedly came-to in a small cubicle only 5 ft in diameter; a row of blinking orange lights encircled it at waist height. He was consciously in this compartment for less than a minute; then he fainted again, & recovered consciousness near his home. His father told him that he had been gone nearly an hour. (Humcat 1975-2. Source: Eileen Sperber & David Shert, Type: G High Strangeness Index: 8 Reliability of Source: 7) [Comments: This case appears to have been an early abduction that maybe was not thoroughly investigated. Hypnotic regression might have revealed more of what occurred to Mahon.]

Jan. 6, 1975; Lordsburg, NM
11:00 p.m. Three people listening to a CB radio in their parked car saw lights approaching them from behind. As the driver tried to move the car, the CB radio broke into static and the engine wouldn't start. A bluish light beam then shone on the car for a few seconds and the group heard a sound like the hum from high tension wires. The light then disappeared and they could start the car. As they drove away, they saw a blue glow behind a nearby hill. The battery on the car went dead a few days later. (Sources: APRO BuIIetin, June 1975; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, case 376, citing APRO).

Jan. 8, 1975; Auckland, New Zealand
11:30 p.m. As Dale & Sheryl Ricard were driving home, a brightly lit globe appeared in the sky in front of them; then it approached & paced the car at a distance of 24 ft. About the size of a car, it had a flange bearing 2 red & 2 white lights surrounding a transparent, brightly lit dome, inside of which 3 dark shadowy moving figures were visible. When Dale stopped the car, a soft humming sound was audible; the object hovered for a few seconds, and then shot off over the hills. (Humcat 1975-3 Source: New Zealand Spaceview, Auckland # 66
Type: A)

Jan. 10, 1975; St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
On this night three teenagers named Jones, Symms, and Dencie were driving by Lake Erie in St. Thomas, Ontario when a blue light came and hovered over their car, and then followed it along road. They made a sharp turn in their car, and the UFO made an even sharper turn. The car then stalled, and the radio went off as the light drew closer. It then flew off toward the west. (Source: London [Ontario] Free Press, January 10, 1975).

Jan 12, 1975; Hudson Park in North Bergen, NJ
2:30 a.m. Ten 3.5-foot-tall humanoids gathered soil samples for three minutes only 100 feet from the street. They wore coveralls with helmets and got back into a domed disc-shaped craft. The disc made a humming sound when it took off, and CB radio interference was noted. Ground marks. (Sources: Ted Bloecher, Proceedings of the CUFOS Conference: 1976, p. 33; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 64).

Jan. 20, 1975; Pike, IL
5:00 a.m. Awakened by a brilliant red light shining in her bedroom window, Marjorie Nighbert scurried  to  the  window thinking one of her neighbor's houses was on fire. It wasn't a fire, but a large red blinking ball of light, larger than a "washtub", moving slowly from the north in a southeasterly direction. She described the object as tadpole in shape, with lights blinking off and on in a constant pattern. She could detect no sound. She said the object was evidently low in the sky as it was obstructed from her view periodically by trees. It moved in the direction of the high school, made a U turn and came back toward her home. It then veered off in an easterly direction and disappeared from her view. (Skylook, news clipping)

Jan. 20, 1975; Vinita, OK
8:30 p.m. A UFO was reported to the Sheriff's office by a woman who was driving to work. She spotted a round object lit by white lights making a fast circular motion hovering over a house six miles southeast of town. The object would rise straight up, come back down toward the ground and sometimes travel sideways. This is the third report in 2 years of UFOs in this small town of Vinita. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, May 1975, page 3)

Jan. 21, 1975; Cape Girardeau, MO
Listed with no details as a CE-1. No details. (EGBA,562)

Jan. 23, 1975; Indianapolis, IN
9:00 p.m. Listed as a CE-2 by CUFOS, upgraded from an NL. No other details.

Jan. 24, 1975; Barham, Kent, England
On this night an orange glowing ball flew over and illuminated the area. It stopped and hovered for awhile, then engaged in some maneuvers. It finally flew off toward the south. (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case 11648, citing FSR, volume 21, number 1).

Jan. 28, 1975; Dolianova, Italy
An ovoid-shaped UFO hovered over a football field. Only 10 meters above the ground, the object rose slowly into the sky at an angle when a car approached. (Source: ITACAT computer catalogue).

Feb. 9, 1975; Carmi, IL
7:20 p.m. Witness reported he and his wife saw a blue object with either beams of light coming down or lighted legs or struts. Conventional aircraft seen simultaneously N & S of object at same relative altitude. On return trip (9:30 p.m.), the lights on their car went on and off at random. A little later, when a truck was approaching them, their lights came on steady. Witness called the UFO Filter Center at 10:45 p.m. and reported the sighting and said the power in his house just went out. Auto (ignition) was a 1974 Ford Thunderbird. (UFOFC, Ridge files)

Feb. 10, 1975; Annandale, NY
7:00 p.m. Two 15-year-old teenagers saw a low-level, 20-meter diameter disc for ten minutes, then watched it shrink away to nothing. At the site there were snapped tree branches and scorched earth. (Sources: CUFOS files, report dated February 27, 1975; NICAP UFO Investigator, April 1975; Skylook, December 1975, p. 16; Margaret Sachs, Celestial Passengers, p. 108).

Feb. 14, 1975; Petite-He, Reunion, France
Three humanoid beings in protective gear emerged from domed disc, witness injured, paralyzed, by flash of light (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Sections IX, XII).

Feb. 16, 1975;  Caribbean.
R.M.S. Carmania (UK) observes bright white circular light appear and rise to 20 degrees, leaving comet-like trail, circle and disappear. Repeated four more times at exact hourly intervals. (Soviet scalar EM weapons tests.  May have been a ship borne device.) (Clear Intent)

Feb. 17, 1975, Roundup, MT
The Wheatland County Sheriff's office was contacted by radio about 9:00 p.m. Sunday, February 17th by a Highway Patrol radio station who reported that three deputies in Roundup had spotted three UFOs on the horizon heading towards Harlowton. (Harlowton Times newspaper)

Feb. 17, 1975; Harlowton, MT
Sheriff, county and state officials observed bright, round object hovering near missile base. Object made rapid darting movements, bobbed up and down (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section I).

Feb. 18, 1975; S. of Harlowton, MT
2:00 a.m. Several Air Policemen from the K-1 missile base [Kilo Flight Launch Control Facility] north of Harlowton reported they had spotted an object hovering over K-10 which is located 7 miles north of the Harlowton airport...(Harlowton Times newspaper)

Feb. 19, 1975; Orbak, Denmark
Large circular object descended over car, heat, prickly sensation felt. (MUFON UFO Journal, Aug. 1976, p. 15; Jylland Posten, Feb. 25, 1975 [E,L] car)

Feb. 23, 1975; Kofu, Japan
At sometime between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. two seven-year-old boys named Kono and Yamahata watched a luminous orange UFO approach Kofu, Japan while making a "ticking" sound. It landed on three ball-shaped legs in a nearby vineyard. The object was a domed disc, five meters in diameter and six feet high. The boys got very close to it, and discovered the surface of the object was silver colored and had strange words embossed on its surface. A ladder extended out of the craft down to the ground, and a humanoid creature slightly over four feet tall disembarked. The creature reportedly  wore a silver uniform and carried something that looked like a gun. His skin was dark brown and he had large pointed ears, but his large head had no facial features: no eyes, nose or mouth. It merely had wrinkles on the "face" and three silvery two-inch long "fangs" where the mouth should be. Both boys could see one more smaller humanoid in the cockpit holding a control lever. The being that had emerged reached out and touched one of the boys, patting him twice on the shoulder and uttering words "like a tape recorder running backwards." The boy who had been touched sat down, paralyzed either by the touch or fear, but his companion took him on his back and carried him from the vineyard. They then ran to one of the boy's homes and informed their parents, who could at first see the orange light pulsating in the vineyard. Then it disappeared as they watched. Two concrete posts were found pushed over at the landing site. (Sources: CUFOS files, report dated July 14, 1975; APRO Bulletin, November-December 1976, p. 5; David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1975-10 (A1391), citing Hayashi Ichinan and Yoshihiko Honda).

Feb. 24, 1975, Enfield, CT
9:50 p.m. Two young men witnessed a 60-foot wide disc-shaped UFO hovering over a nearby field. The UFO effected their TV reception, and their dogs howled in the presence of the object. (Source: E. Jahn, field investigator, CUFOS case file report dated March 11, 1975; NICAP UFO Investigator, August 1975, p. 1).

Feb. 26, 1975; Lake Sorell, Tasmania
Intensely bright domed disc, orange glow, emitted conical light beam down on lake, illuminated terrain, sped away at "colossal speed" (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section VI).

Feb. 26,1975; San Carlos Reservoir, AZ
Witness saw an oddly structured craft and noticed fish jumping out of the water. (Joan Woodward)

From the American embassy in Algiers, Algeria. The UFOs in this report were seen by multiple witnesses. The objects landed and took off. They were also spotted on radar and seen visually simultaneously.

March 1975; Project Blue Book Files Transferred
When Project Blue Book was closed down in January 1970, the original files were transferred to Maxwell AFB in 1975 but were made available on request for public viewing sometime in 1976. In 1975 these documents were microfilmed by the Air Force for internal use and then transferred to the National Archives for public release. Before microfilming these documents for public release, however, the Air Force blacked out witness names and other personal information in accord with its policy of protecting the privacy of witnesses despite the fact that the files had been available for copying and inspection for years without these deletions. In 1998 a set of the original un-redacted Air Force microfilm was discovered at the National Archives. In addition to witness names and information, it has been confirmed that these rolls contain some pages that are not on the NARA rolls.

March, 1975; Lexington, SC
Close Encounter with octagon near nuclear site.

March 2, 1975; Golfo San Matias, Argentina
North of the Valdez Peninsula, a group of men on a fishing boat saw a bright light with a definite form behind it moved horizontally through the evening sky at a low altitude. It came from the Patagonian mesa flying out to sea and made a loud buzzing sound. It stopped in the air, and dived under the sea. (Source: Wendelle C. Stevens, Saga UFO Report, March 1977, p. 39).

March 2, 1975; Mehmke Hill (Belt/Great Falls), MT
A UFO reported 20 feet over highway, size of car. (NIDS, Summary Report on A Wave of UFO/Helicopters and Animal Mutilations in Cascade County, Montana 1974-1977, Frame 16 of 24 Appendix 1)

March 2, 1975; Elmwood, WS
8:00 p.m. A UFO attempted to land in front of a car with the Forster family inside, while the children in the car screamed. The UFO was a disc the size of a car, white in color with lights all around it, and sticklike legs or landing gear. In their panic they repeatedly honked their car horn, which alerted farmer Roger Weber, who came out of his farmhouse and guided the family home. The UFO flew off. (Source: Jay Rath, The W-Files: True Reports of Wisconsin's Unexplained Phenomena, p. 67).

March 8, 1975; near Stayner, Ontario, Canada
8:30 p.m. The witness and two daughters, 18 and 10 years old, while traveling east on Highway 26, observed a huge circular object similar to the shape of a large water tower moving overhead. The object was 100 to 200 feet in size. The bottom was the color of steel and was round and flat with five red glowing lights spaced evenly around the inside of the circle close to the outside edge. The object moved silently at a slow speed. When the object was first seen it was north of the witnesses and it made a 90 degree turn and passed directly over their vehicle. (Reference: Letter to the Ontario Provincial Police)

March 9, 1975: Belt, MT
Time unknown. Egg-shaped object, bluish lights beaming. (NIDS UFO 89)

March 14, 1975; Mellen, WI
Dog reacted to domed object over treetops (Joan Woodward)

March 17, 1975; 70 miles west of Gander, Newfoundland, Canada
11:02 p.m. NDT. Air Canada Flight 872 reported a green pulsating object at 35,000 feet, crossing his flight path from north to south. Luftansa Flight 401, 120 miles south of of Air Canada 872, reported a solid green object at 31,000 feet crossing his flight path north to south. Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT -2:30 hours (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742, N75/033)

March 18, 1975; Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

April 3-9, 1975; Lumberton, NC
Concentration of sightings of V-shaped objects, hover-acceleration, bright illumination. There were over 29 separate, independent UFO sightings and close encounters in Robeson, Hoke, Sampson, Bladen, Pitt, and Columbus counties in the early morning hours and again in the evening centered on Lumberton, North Carolina. (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section VIII, (Sources: Dwight Connelly, Skylook, May 1975, p. 3; Jennie Zeidman, Lumberton Report: UFO Activity in Southern North Carolina, pp. 5-8; Raleigh News Observer, April 6, 1975):

April 3, 1975 ; Lumberton, NC
1:45 a.m. . The first sighting occurred on Highway 301 where a delta-shaped object the size of a car was sighted by police officers hovering over a water tower. It then shot off to the north.

April 3, 1975 ; Lumberton, NC
2:05 a.m. Two sheriff deputies in Hoke County pursued a delta-shaped object flying northeast toward Sampson County.

April 3, 1975 ; Roseboro, NC
2:20 a.m. A silent object with a searchlight flew over Highway 55 at 200 feet altitude and lit up some pecan trees.

April 3, 1975 ; Elizabethtown, NC
3:30 a.m. A police officer on Highway 701 chased an object along Highway 701 before losing it into the cloud cover.

April 3, 1975 ; Grimesland, NC
10:30 p.m. A police officer named Godley sighted a disc-shaped object with red, blue and white lights that zigzagged through the sky.

April 3, 1975 ; N. of Rowland, NC
11:45 p.m. There were sightings in Robeson County and in Scotland County on Highway 71.

April 3, 1975 ; Lumberton, NC
11:47 p.m. A Sheriff's deputy named Lewis pursued a V-shaped craft flying to the northeast toward Red Springs.

April 6, 1975; Wausau, WS
2:00 a.m. Two 18-year-old youths, Rod Seagraves and Mike Lewandowski, were driving west on highway A from Wausau, Wisconsin toward Athens when their CB radio stopped working. Mike saw a UFO about 1500 feet north of the road. It was flat on the bottom and dome-shaped on top, and was on or just above the ground. It shone with a pulsating silvery-gray light. In another five minutes of driving they saw what looked like a seven-foot tall "tree trunk" near the road. It was about 100 feet away, and Mike saw it moving slowly. He then drove away toward the west. Reaching Wausau, they parked the car behind a restaurant and both fell asleep at around three a.m. When they awoke at 6:30 a.m. the car was in a different location in the parking lot, both were dirty, and a quarter of a tank of gasoline was gone, which suggested to them that they had driven back to the location of the UFO, but had no recollection of doing so. In subsequent months Mike reported having trouble with his thinking, and his memory was poorer than before the incident. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1975-19, citing Richard Heiden for CUFOS).

April 9, 1975; S. of Lumberton, NC
2:30 a.m. A delta-shaped UFO hovered over a house three miles south of Lumberton, and all the lights in the house went out. The lights came back on when the UFO moved away toward the east. (Sources: Center for UFO Studies case files, report dated May 4, 1975; Jennie Zeidman, Lumberton Report: UFO Activity in southern North Carolina, p. 35; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence Volume II: A Thirty Year Report, p. 19).

April 10, 1975; Carman, Manitoba, Canada
9:35 p.m. Mr. Robert Diemert sighted a UFO. Diemert was at his airfield, Friendship Field, when the object was sighted. The object was flying in a north-westerly direction at an approximate altitude of 300 feet. The UFO was described as being approximately 50 feet in length, and was flying too slow for an aircraft. The color was all red and was pulsating. There was no sound emanating from the object. Mr. Robert Diemert is a well-known aviation expert. (Reference: Royal Canadian Mounted Police report, April, 11, 1975, Carman, Manitoba, Carman Detachment, National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N/039)

April 15, 1975; San Jose, CA
Disc-shaped object with dome, light beam, made right-angle turn, approached, hovered; began to oscillate, shot straight up out of sight in seconds (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section IV).

May 3, 1975; Tequesquitengo Lake, Mexico
Three domed discs paced small aircraft, one off each wing and one behind, confirmed by radar. E-M effects on radio, aircraft lifted (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section III).

May 3, 1975; San Antonio, TX
Saturn-shaped UFO, E-M effects on truck, two humanoids visible through transparent dome (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section XII).

May 5, 1975; Pleasanton, TX
9:20 p.m. A domed disc-shaped object was seen on the ground with two figures inside the dome. The witness, who was in a truck, was hit by a blinding light, and his hands went numb. The encounter lasted for two minutes. (Source: John Schuessler, Physiological Effects from UFOs, p. 64).

May 12, 1975; Howrah, Tasmania
4:10 p.m. A solid looking flying object, trailing exhaust, flew northeast through the sky. The UFO changed shape and then made a ninety-degree turn. It then executed a 180 degree turn, and then swooped down and away. A movie film was made of the UFO. (Source: Richard Hall, Skylook, December 1975, p. 15).

June 4, 1975; Holland, Manitoba, Canada
7:40 a.m. Henry Francois while driving east on a municipal road 1 mile south and 1/4 of mile west of the junction of P.T.H. #34 and 2, he observed an oval disc shaped object with a very brilliant light close to the top and center. The object was approximately 30 feet in diameter and 10 feet in height. The light was a brilliant silvery color and was going on and off at an interval of approximately one second. The object was sitting at approximately 2 feet from the ground and in the center of a municipal road. Francois sighted the object for approximately 2 minutes and then turned south on P.T.H #34 and stopped at Henry Sawatzky's residence and ask Mrs. Sawatzky to witness the sighting. When they returned to the location the object had disappeared. (Reference: Royal Canadian Mounted Police report 11 June 1975. Treherne Detachment RCMP File Reference: 75-079-4)

June 11, 1975; Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
4:00 p.m. A large shiny triangular object was observed over Quebec City at an estimated altitude above 40,000 feet. Observers were a T-33 at 29,000 feet and a DC-8 at 31,000 feet and personnel of Quebec Terminal. The object moving very slowly to the NNW was observed on the Monteal/Quebec radar. There was no radar contact on the 22nd NORAD Region radars due to outages. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/071)

June 11, 1975: Smith River, MT
6:45 p.m. Small men with huge UFO. (NIDS UFO 87)

June 12, 1975; Big Chimney, WV
Shortly before 10:00 p.m. A diamond shaped object landed on a gravel road in a mountainous area. It was witnessed by four members of the Crichfield family. Four landing gear imprints were found at the site. (Sources: Center for UFO Studies case files, letter dated August 3, 1975; Larry Hatch, U computer database, citing Alan Landsburg, In Search of Extraterrestrials, p. 8)

June 20, 1975; Genova, Italy
A luminous globe, described also like a large incandescent ball, was seen to fall into the sea some miles off the coast of the port of Genova, Italy. The report arrived from a geophysicist of the university that was completing normal surveys and that had immediately signaled the fact to the National Fire Departments. (Source: Marco Bianchini, USOCAT by Italian Center for UFO Studies (CISU), citing Liberta, June 22, 1975 and La Stampa, June 21, 1975).

June 24, 1975; Queensland, Australia
7:45 p.m. Mr. Eric Falkenburger saw a bright object from his car. The object passed within about 1500 feet of his car and was just above tree top level. Falkenburger said that as he watched the UFO "suddenly shot off at a great speed and as it went, bright cone shaped search lights suddenly shone from the object." (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, October 1975, page 2)

June 27, 1975; Pont-a-Mousson, France
3:30 a.m. A 25 meter in diameter metallic disc hovered just 15 meters above a gasoline service station. It illuminated the ground as bright as day. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, March 1976).

June 27, 1975; Pont-a-Mousson, France
11:20 p.m. A vertical cylinder hung in the sky at only 10 meters altitude in Bouillancourt-la-Bataille, Somme, France. It had two antennae. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, March 1976).

July-November 1975; Northern U.S. and Canada
Concentration of sightings (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section VIII)

July 2, 1975; HI
Photos of Saturn-shaped object, very similar to Hamazaki videotape of July 6-7, 1989 (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section VII).

July 4, 1975; Fairfield, NJ
Cessna 150 pilot & large oval object

July 4, 1975; Parsippany, NJ
12:05 a.m. A college student and friend were on their way home when they observed a huge oval-shaped object approximately 60 to 80 feet in diameter at about 75 feet in altitude. The object traveled in a southwesterly direction and passed directly over the witnesses' automobile. The object was moving slowly at approximately 5 mph. The object had red and green lights at each end of the object. After the couple had observed the object for a few minutes they noticed a bright white light emitting from the bottom of the object which appeared to be sweeping the area below. The witnesses observed the object for approximately 8 minutes when it took no longer that a second for the object to whiz off into the sky. The object made no sound. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, September 1975, pages 1-2)

July 6, 1975; Wilkes-Barre, PA
BAC-111 crew encountered daylight disc

July 6, 1975; Mount Pleasant, Ontario, Canada
5:00 p.m. A shiny metallic domed disc was seen in a tobacco field. A thirty-foot diameter area of plants was flattened, the tobacco plants were wilted and burned, and an oily residue was found. (Sources: NICAP UFO Investigator, October 1975; Canadian UFO Report, Summer 1976, p. 1; Center for UFO Studies, on-site investigation, report dated September 13, 1975; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 122 & 264).

July 6, 1975; nr. Wilkes Barre, PA
Daytime. A disc made a turn and entered the base of a thunderhead cloud, thirty miles north-northwest of Wilkes Barre. (Sources: NICAP UFO Investigator, October 1975; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence, Volume II: A Thirty-Year Report, pp. 122 & 264).

July 14, 1975; Washburn, ND
12:30 a.m. A college administrator and his wife sighted two unknown objects. The objects were highly-illuminated in white light which pulsed intermittently in an irregular pattern. The bar shaped objects moved in arcs across the sky almost directly overhead and traveled in a southwest direction. The second object passed the first then seemed to move straight out of view. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, October 1975, page 3)

July 20, 1975; Williams AFB, AZ
An orange-red metallic disc flew past a plane flying near Williams Air Force Base. The plane was being flown by a man named Royce. It disappeared at great speed. (Source: Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 39; Saga UFO Report, July 1977, p. 37).

July 20, 1975; Bay Village, OH
10:00 p.m. On this cloudy evening an enormous disc-shaped object shot huge beams of energy at four witnesses. It was estimated to be at an altitude of one thousand feet and made no sound. It also reportedly had legs or landing gear. (Sources: Center for UFO Studies case files, report dated August 5, 1975; FSR, April 1976, p. 24).

July 28, 1975; in the mountains of Sierra Aitana, Spain
6:00 a.m. A radar installation in the mountains had a close encounter with a dark gray football-shaped UFO. The object was described as the size of a Sabre jet (about 12 meters in length) with well defined edges. It was metallic and appeared to have what looked like rivets. It was first seen at a distance of 150 meters, and moved horizontally toward the witnesses. It made a noise like an electric motor. (Source: UNICAT database, case 588, citing Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos, Lanib, July 1986).

July 31, 1975; Loxton, South Africa
Oval object, occupants visible; light struck witness in face, nose bleed and vomiting. Physical traces at site (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section XII).

Aug. 13, 1975; nr. Alamogordo, NM
1:20 a.m. Mr. Moody, age 32, was driving through the desert when he encountered a metallic, disc-shaped UFO. He remembers a high-pitched sound coming from the object and that his car wouldn't start. He then experienced a lapse of time or memory loss of an hour and a half. He later was able to recall an abduction by two Grey aliens about 4 feet 8 inches tall, with large eyes and heads, slit mouths, and wearing tight-fitting coveralls. The abduction experience involved a medical exam on a table, telepathy, and a message. (Sources: Coral E. Lorenzen & Jim Lorenzen, Abducted! Confrontations with Beings from Outer Space, p. 38; David F. Webb, Proceedings of the CUFOS Conference: 1976, p. 267).

Aug. 14, 1975; Stockton, CA
9:35 p.m. Dan Long, a controller at Stockton Metropolitan Airport, sighted a UFO. He stated that the disc-shaped object was at an altitude of about 2000 feet. The disc then moved upward while emitting a glow of green tinted smoke and flashing lights red lights. Mr. Gary Duran and two friends also the same object while walking near the airport. UFOs have been sighted for a two week period throughout Stockton, San Jose-Gilroy area by numerous witnesses. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, October 1975, page 3; NICAP UFO Evidence II, Sections III, IX).

Aug. 15, 1975; SE of Vaughn, MT
9:32 p.m. UFO with white and red beams. (NIDS UFO 1)

Aug. 22, 1975; in the vicinity of St. Omer, Pas-de-Calais, France
11:30 p.m. Two young men were making a bulk newspaper delivery between Boulogne and Lille by motorbike when they were followed briefly by an unknown "vehicle" in the vicinity of St. Omer, Pas-de-Calais, France. A short distance further they saw a light in a field a few hundred meters from the road. They stopped to look, and they could see an oval object on the ground, lit from within by a yellowish white light. It was approximately 3-4 meters long, and to its right were two human forms about two meters tall that stood side by side. The figures were completely illuminated by the light from the object so none of their features could be made out. The figures began walking very quickly toward the young men. Frightened, they took off on the motorbike and continued their journey. Several kilometers further on they saw the object ascend into the sky at an angle. Perhaps because of their astonishment and fear, they were unable to locate the exact site of their experience when they went back with investigators later. (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1975-40, citing Joel Mesnard & Jean Marie Bigorne).

Aug. 26, 1975, Buffalo. ND
4:00 a.m. Near the Grand Forks AFB ICMB Complex. Sandra Larson, age 32, and her daughter Jackie, age 15, were being driven from Fargo to Bismarck, North Dakota by Jackie's boyfriend when they heard a loud rumbling, thunder-like noise and saw eight glowing orange spheres descend from the sky. The objects stopped in mid-air, and three of the objects shot back upwards. Sandy had a peculiar feeling as though the car was  motionless, and at the same time Jackie suddenly found herself in the back seat with no memory of how she got there. When they got to a gas station they discovered that an hour of time was unaccounted for. Later, under hypnosis, Sandra recalled having been "floated" from the car into a UFO, where a six-foot tall being with a mummy-like head bandaged up in tape, with the eyes remaining visible, had performed some sort of surgical operation on her. She had the sensation that even her brain had been briefly removed. This being had a luminosity around its head and shoulders, and it had long metallic-appearing arms. Its body was like "brown vinyl." (Source: David F. Webb & Ted Bloecher, HUMCAT: Catalogue of Humanoid Reports, case 1975-28, citing Jerome Clark and Dr. R. Leo Sprinkle).

Aug. 29, 1975; Muret, Haute-Garonne, France
Gray, disc-shaped UFO, bright illumination, darted above car, hovered, cast pulsating light beam down on it. Physiological effects (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section VI).

Sept. 2, 1975; Chesterland, OH
12:30 a.m. A silent, dark disc-shaped object was seen pulsating on the roadside of a highway. It then hovered at treetop level, and shot straight up very quickly. (Source: FSR, April 1976, p. 25, citing CUFOS).

Sept. 3, 1975; Manassas, VA
Night. When Miss Melinda Chow got off her homebound bus she saw an orange disc glowing above some nearby treetops & descending. Although alarmed, "for some reason" she ran toward it instead of away. She came out in a clearing to see the UFO resting on stilts 200 ft away. Near it was walking a humanoid being about 5 ft tall, with long narrow legs, very short arms, & "a face that occupied about half the height of his body." His skin was gray & leathery, and he walked "in a bouncing, hopping motion." Terrified, Miss Chow ran to her home. (Humcat 1975-31 Source: Richard Hall Type: C)

Sept. 14, 1975; Nr. Geyser, MT
2:30 a.m. Round 30' UFO with two vivid green lights (NIDS)

Sept. 23, 1975; Cambrai, Nord, France
10:30 p.m. An elongated fuselage-shaped object 15 meters long with several big, lighted portholes appeared. It moved rapidly and vanished instantaneously when chased by a French Air Force Mirage III jet. It made four appearances. (Source: Dominique Weinstein, Aircraft UFO Encounters, p. 39).

Sept. 26, 1975; in Asservent, near Maubeuge, France
9:30 p.m. A very large disc-shaped object was watched by some 12 witnesses. This disc was only 20 meters from the ground. A cone-shaped object detached from it and rose vertically. Eight photographs were taken. (Source: Richard Hall, Skylook, May 1976, p. 9).

Sept. 30, 1975; Orland (Corning), CA
Domed disc hovered, illuminated area "like daylight," cows fled; emitted bright red light, humming sound, took off at high speed (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Sections IX, X).

Oct - Dec 75 - Out in space over the Indian Ocean
U.S. satellites were illuminated or "blinded" over the Indian ocean. Source 10-1,000 times as strong as natural sources. 5 incidents. One 4 hrs. long.

Metropolitan D.C. Besieged With UFO Activity
Strange lights, unexplainable maneuvers, and craft-like shapes are continuing to puzzle residents of the Washington, D.C. area. Reports began in October and have continued through December at the NICAP office, Many of the reports have similarities while others are an entity onto themselves. (The National Military Command Center [NMCC} is located in Washington, D.C.)

Oct. 3, 1975; Quincy, MA
On this night a large mass of white light, with smaller blue lights inside, hung stationary over Quincy. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 7).

Oct. 4, 1975; Ramsey, NJ
2:55 a.m. Two police officers, Francis J. Gross and C. Ragazzo were on routine patrol when officer Ragazzo received a radio call from Gross informing him of five "strange looking" lights in the south-west sky. Both officers were able to observe the objects for a period of five minutes. The lights were in a straight line formation and moving very slowly. They appeared to be solid and were reddish in color. The rear sections of the objects were blurred but the rest of the cigar shape was distinctly outlined. The officers watched the objects intently until they disappeared from sight. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR. December 1975, page 1)

Oct.16, 1975; Davis, CA
8:20 p.m. Seven witnesses including the main witness named Landeros sighted two UFOs maneuvering in the sky. The first object was triangular in shape with white and yellow lights. It went down and up rapidly, then back-and-forth. The second UFO was a domed disc; it came from same direction as the first and had red, green, and blue lights spinning on its rim. It hovered, tilted, and shot off toward the west. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 9).  

Oct. 18, 1975; 25 miles NW of Helena, MT
12:30 a.m.  John Struble was driving his truck when he noticed a large object, fifty feet in diameter and twenty-five to thirty feet in the air. The object passed over his truck from the rear and then stopped and hovered about one hundred yards ahead of him. As the object did this it directed a very bright light at him, causing the truck's lights and engine to go out. The UFO stayed there for about five minutes before moving away. The object made a noise like a big jet and then rocketed straight up into the sky and moved away to the east at an incredible speed. When the UFO disappeared the truck's lights and engine came back on. Struble noticed that his non-electric watched had stopped for five minutes, the duration of the UFO's appearance. (Reference: Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent, page 33)

Oct. 19, 1975; Hailey, ID
11:00 p.m. Two men walking just west of town noticed a red light approaching their position at high speed. It stopped over them, and was described as an almond shaped craft pointed at the ends. It then turned bluish in color and began to hover. The lights suddenly went out and the craft descended making a hissing sound. It landed among some bushes then a small light came on. At this point both men saw a figure moving within the light and ran back to town. (HC addition # 744, CUFOS Reports,Type: A)

Oct. 20, 1975;  Priest Butte, MT 
4:30 p.m. A couple living on a ranch near Priest Butte, Montana, reported that they had seen a UFO about half a mile from their home, on the east slope of Priest Butte. Using binoculars, they described it as being egg-shaped, with the large end of the craft on the ground. It had one yellowish-gold light which at first gave off a dull glow and then became brighter. It had two arm-like appendages which came out of the craft, one on each side. The arms made a continual motion similar to a breaststroke. The craft remained stationary for five minutes. Then the appendages retracted into the craft, and it went straight up and out of sight. (Reference: Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent, page 34)

Oct. 25, 1975; Sao Gondolo do Amarante, Ceara state, Brazil
6:00 p.m. A young woman with the surname of Dira had bathed in a lagoon in Sao Gondolo do Amarante on the river and was washing clothes when she felt a heat wave and saw an oscillating blue light in the sky nearby. Frightened, she took cover in some undergrowth, but the light increased intensity. When the blue light approached even closer she ran home. She managed to escape inside her house, but she had a high body temp, bloodshot eyes, and her skin looked like it had a sunburn. (Source: Claude Bourtembourg, SOBEPS News, March 1976, p. 18; Charles Bowen, Saga UFO Report, December 1976, p. 80; both sources cite J. Gualberto.)

Oct. 25, 1975; Sao Gondolo do Amarante, Ceara state, Brazil
Bt. 6:00 & 7:00 p.m. A local man was struck by a blue beam of light, reputedly from a disc. He subsequently died. Several other witnesses reported being attacked and terrified by the experience. Some reported being paralyzed by a blue light. (Source:  Charles Bowen, FSR, July 1976, p. 33 and Saga UFO Report, citing La Razon, October 27, 1975).

Oct. 27, 1975; Oxford, ME
David Stephens was one of the principals of this famous abduction case. It's one of the most interesting such incidents, not only for the abduction itself but for its curious aftermath. Investigator Brent M. Raynes wrote about it in 'The Twilight Side of a UFO Encounter', FSR 22,2 (July 1976), with follow-up comment by Berthold E. Schwarz in the same issue. The case is also discussed in Thomas E. Bullard's UFO Abductions: The Measure of a Mystery and in my The UFO Encyclopedia, 2nd Ed., pp. 685-90. (Jerry Clark)

When Project Blue Book's closure was announced in Dec. of 1969* (with full knowledge of the March 1967 missile incident), the media and the public was told that  "No UFO reported, investigated, and evaluated by the Air Force has ever given any indication of threat to our national security. There has been no evidence submitted to or discovered by the Air Force that sightings categorized as 'unidentified' represent technological developments or principles beyond the range of present-day scientific knowledge. There has been no evidence indicating that sightings categorized as 'unidentified' are extraterrestrial vehicles." The incidents listed in the latter part of October and the first few weeks of November dramatically illustrate that at least two of these claims are false.

Late Oct. 1975; Cheyenne Mountain, CO
In late October, something happened near Cheyenne Mountain, the home of the National Combat Operations Center, something that triggered a Security Option 5 Alert. According to an informant, nobody was allowed to enter the base, except cleared, high-ranking officers or cleared security patrols. No one was to leave. Those personnel on base who had just completed duty were rolled out of bed. Jet interceptors were scrambled into the air. In fact, everything they put in the air during an attack on the U.S. was airborne. (UFO Filter Center/Ridge Files). But there was more going on in other places....

Target: Loring AFB, ME
Although it is no longer an active Air Force Base today, in 1975 Loring AFB was a Strategic Air Command Base and a storage site for nuclear weapons. The nukes were stored in a fenced weapons dump consisting of small huts covered with dirt for camouflage from the air. It was patrolled day and night by the 42nd Security Police Squadron.

Intrusions at Loring (AFB) - (CLEAR INTENT, 16-26; Barry Greenwood and Larry Fawcett)

Oct. 27, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
7:45 p.m. Staff Sgt. Danny K. Lewis was patrolling the weapons dump when he saw an unidentified aircraft nearing  the north perimeter of Loring at a low altitude of about 300 feet. Lewis  noticed what appeared to be a red navigation light and a white strobe light on the aircraft. As Lewis watched, the craft entered the perimeter of  Loring. Meanwhile, in the control tower of the air base, Staff Sgt. James P. Sampley of the 2192nd Communications Squadron was on duty at the radar screen. He got a radar return from an unknown aircraft ten to thirteen miles east-northeast of Loring. Sampley made numerous attempts by radio on all available communications bands, civilian and military, to contact the craft, but he got no response. The unidentified craft began to circle, and came to within 300 yards of the restricted nuclear storage area  at a low altitude of 150 feet. Back at the nuclear weapons dump, Lewis notified his Command Post of the of the 42 Bomb Wing that an unknown aircraft had penetrated the base perimeter and was within 300 yards of the nuclear weapons area. The base was immediately put on major alert status, a a Security Option 3, and Security contacted the tower.

Oct. 27, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
8:45 p.m. Sgt. Grover K. Eggleston of the 2192nd Communications Squadron was on duty at the tower when the call from the Command Post came. He began observing the unknown aircraft. Six minutes later, while watching the radar screen, Eggleston noted that the unknown craft appeared to be circling approximately ten miles east-northeast of the base. This action lasted for forty minutes when, suddenly, it disappeared from the screen. Either the object had landed, or it had dropped below the radar coverage. The Wing Commander arrived at the weapons storage area seven minutes after the initial sighting was made. Immediately, other units of the 42nd Police began pouring into the area. Security vehicles with blue flashing lights were converging from all over the base. Through the Loring Command Post, the Wing Commander requested fighter coverage from the 21st NORAD Region at Hancock Field, New York, and the 22nd NORAD Region at North Bay, Ontario, Canada. However, fighter support was denied by both regions. The Wing Commander then increased local security posture and requested assistance from the Maine State Police in trying to identify the unknown craft, which they presumed was a helicopter. A call was made to local flight services for possible identification, without results. The 42nd Security Police conducted a sweep of the weapons storage perimeter inside and out. An additional sweep was made of the areas that the craft had flown over. All actions produced no results. The craft broke the circling pattern and began flying toward Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada. Radar contact was lost in the vicinity of Grand Falls bearing 065 degrees, twelve miles from Loring. Canadian authorities were not notified.

No further unusual events occurred throughout that night. Priority messages were sent to the National Military Command Center in Washington, D.C., the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force, the USAF Forward Operations Division at Fort Ritchie, Maryland, and Strategic Air Command headquarters at the 8th Air Force and the 45th Division informing them of what had taken place. The base remained on a high state of alert for the rest of the night and into the early morning hours of October 28.

Oct. 28, 1975; Belgrade, Yugoslavia
DC-9 pilot followed by UFOs, E-M, radar

Oct. 28, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
12:15 a.m. EST. One cup and saucer hat shaped object, very bright, low about 500 feet, was observed over the slag pit Murray Mine, Sudbury. The object hovered over the slag pit for a minute then departed at extremely high speed. The object then returned for another minute and left. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Oct. 28, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
7:45 - 8:20 p.m. While patrolling the weapons storage area, Staff Sgt. Lewis, along with Sgt. Clifton W. Blakeslee and Sgt. William J. Long, again spotted the lights of an unidentified aircraft approaching Loring AFB from the north at an altitude of about 3,000 feet. It approached to within about three miles of the base perimeter and was noted to have a flashing white light and an amber or orange light. Lewis reported the sighting to his Command Post, and the Wing Commander came out to the weapons storage area to see for himself. He reported seeing an object with a flashing white light and an amber light whose speed and motion were similar to that of a helicopter. The craft was also observed on radar. The craft was then observed over the flight line by Sgt, Steven Eichner, Sgt. R. Jones, and others. They saw an orange and red object shaped like a stretched-out football hovering in mid-air. It turned out its lights, and then reappeared making jerky motions, then hovering about 150 feet over the end of the runway. It was described as about four car-lengths long, solid, reddish-orange, with no doors or windows, and with no visible propellers or engines. It was totally silent. The base went on full alert and a sweep was made by security, but the object turned off its lights and was not seen again. Radar picked up a target moving in the direction of Grand Falls, New Brunswick. SAC Headquarters was again notified.

Oct. 29, 1975; Loring AFB, ME
1:00 a.m. EST. Actual transcript: One unidentified helicopter was sighted 300 to 500 meters from the weapons storage area at Loring AFB, Maine. The helicopter was at an altitude of 150 feet and penetrated Loring AFB. An attempt to contact and identify the intruding "helicopter" was made by an Army National Guard helo, and was unsuccessful. At 290300 EST the helicopter was sighted over the weapons storage area and the Army National Guard helicopter again responded to make contact but was unsuccessful.  The USAF (Ops Div) has requested that the Army NG helo be provided until 300800 EST under the following conditions: To track and identify the intruder; no apprehension to take place; the Canadian Border would not be crossed; and civilian police on board will be for commo with ground units only. The request is under consideration by MG Snifin, DA Director of Operations, DCSOPS. Col Bailey, Mil Aide to Special Asst to SECDIF/DEPSECDEF has been advised of the situation show DoD approval be required.  The State Department Canadian Desk Officer has been kept informed. (SOURCE:  42 BW CP LORING AFB 291140Z OCT 75; SAC CP OPS CONTROL 291954Z OCT 75. (Actual document below. See page 1 & 2)

Oct. 30, 1975; Ford Creek at Augusta, MT
12:00 a.m. Football shaped UFO. (NIDS UFO 42)

Oct. 30, 1975, Loring AFB, ME
The Maine National Guard Huey was replaced by an Air Force helicopter and crew from Plattsburgh AFB. That evening, objects were reported at several locations over and near the base, and were detected by radar.

October 30, 1975; Wurtsmith AFB Intrusions
At the same time that plans were being prepared at Loring for the return of the intruder, things started to break open at Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Michigan, another of the northern tier bases that were put on a security option three alert. Wurtsmith is a Strategic Air Command base located three miles northwest of Oscoda, Michigan. It serves as the home base for the 40th Air Division and the 379th Bomb Wing.

To summarize briefly, radar picked up the craft over the weapons storage area and followed it to the southeast, where the task of identification was handed over to the KC-135 commander. The KC-135 crew picked it up visually and on radar. Taylor, in his statement to Cahill, never once called the craft a helicopter, but called it "a UFO" and an "object." He said that their speed was about 200 knots, and in each attempt to close with the object, "it would speed away from us." Taylor added that when they were heading back to Wurtsmith, "we turned back in the direction of the UFO, and it really took off... doing approximately 1,000 knots." One thousand knots! Certainly no helicopter ever built could do such a thing!

Oct. 30, 1975; Wurtsmith AFB, MI
10:10 p.m. Personnel in the vicinity of the family housing area located in the southeastern portion of Wurtsmith reported seeing what appeared to be running lights of a low-flying craft which was thought to be a helicopter. The craft hovered and moved up and down in an erratic manner. Airman Martin E. Tackabury, assigned to the Capehart housing area gate, said that he saw the object for about five seconds near the perimeter of Wurtsmith, due south of his location. Tackabury reported that the object had one white light pointing directly downward and two red lights near the rear. The object seemed to be heading in a west-southwest direction. Tackabury could not hear any sound coming from the aerial craft because a B-52 was in the air nearby to the north. Near the main gate at Wurtsmith, Airman Michael J. Myers, assigned to Police Unit Seven, was on duty at the Wurtsmith motor pool. As Myers looked toward the west, he could see several lights near the western edge of the base. The lights turned north and appeared to lose altitude. He did not hear any sound. Sergeant Robert J. Anderson, also at the motor pool, reported that he observed an airborne KC-135 tanker and another craft with a steady red light. The craft appeared to be flying slower, ahead and below the KC-135. Anderson believed he heard a sound similar to a helicopter. After thirty to thirty-five seconds, the object passed out of view. Airman Roger Skipper, at the Wurtsmith main gate, said that when he responded to the activity at the motor pool, he heard sounds that diminished quickly. (Clear Intent)

Oct. 30, 1975; Wurtsmith AFB, MI
At 10:14, 10:20, and 10:25 p.m., at the back gate of Wurtsmith, security police reported to the command post that an unidentified helicopter with no lights came up over the back gate and hovered over the weapons storage area at a low altitude. Security police of the 379th security police squadron in the weapons storage area could not make out the type of craft. The craft started to move towards the northern perimeter where its lights were again turned on. Sergeant James A. Miller of the Wurtsmith security police reported his observations of the unknown craft while on duty in the weapons storage area. He stated that he heard the sound of a possible helicopter coming from an area off the base toward the north. He thought he had heard the sound of a flying helicopter fifteen minutes earlier, but he didn't report it. As he listened, the noise became drowned out by a military jet, and when the jet passed out of range, the original noise had stopped. No other similar sounds were heard. Security police at the weapon storage area notified Colonel John J. Doran, Vice Commander, 379th Bomb Wing, that the guard posted at the back gate had reported what he thought was a helicopter overhead. The command post notified Col. Boardman (wing commander) and Col. Doran, and they proceeded to the flight line. It was at this time that Radar Approach Control (RAPCON) reported low-flying objects on their radar scope. They tracked the craft for approximately thirty-five miles on a southeastern bearing from Wurtsmith.

Oct. 30, 1975; Wurtsmith, MI
10:30 - 11:00 p.m. A KC-135 tanker was returning from a refueling mission. It entered Wurtsmith's traffic pattern and received permission to fly transition approaches. Col. Boardman ordered the KC-135 to attempt to identify the object. Wurtsmith air traffic control vectored the tanker in the object's direction. Aboard the KC-135 was Major Frederick Pappas, the plane's commander; Captain K. E. May, co-pilot; Captain Rick Meier, the navigator; Captain Myron Taylor, instructor navigator; Captain Randy Higginbotham, instructor pilot; and Sergeant Steve Smith. Captain Taylor: "We were returning from a refueling mission and during our first approach into the traffic pattern, RAPCON vectored us to check out a reported UFO in the area of the Wurtsmith Weapons Storage Area. As I recall, this activity occurred between 10:30 and 11:00 in the evening around the 1st  of November (later established as Oct. 30). I remember seeing lights similar to strobe lights which were flashing irregularly. We followed the lights north out over Lake Huron and then the UFO swung south still over the lake toward the Saginaw Bay area of Michigan. At first it was difficult to determine whether there were two different objects because of the irregular flashing of the lights. But, after observing the lights we determined that there were in fact two objects and the irregular flashing appeared to be some sort of signal being passed from one to the other in an effort to maintain the same position. We were able to maintain visual contact most of the time and I was only able to paint an object on the radar scope for about 10 seconds. I would estimate that our altitude was about 2,000 feet and our speed approximately 200 knots. Shortly after turning south in pursuit of the UFO, we called Approach Control and received blanket clearance to follow the UFO at all altitudes and at all vectors. Occasionally, RAPCON would pick-up the UFO and help us by giving us vectors to the UFO's position. I would guess that we stayed close to the UFO most of the time, approximately one mile away, and each time we attempted to close on the object it would speed away from us. We followed the UFO down to Saginaw Bay and started across the Bay when we lost it because of all the fishing boat lights. At first we thought it had landed on one of the large oil tankers but later decided that we had been wrong. We continued to search the Bay area but didn't see it so we changed our heading for Wurtsmith. On the way back, we picked the UFO up again at our eight o'clock position. We turned away, and it proceeded to follow us. Finally, we turned back in the direction of the UFO and it really took off back in the direction of the Bay area. I know this might sound crazy, but I would estimate that the UFO sped away from us doing approximately 1,000 knots. We continued in the direction of the Bay until RAPCON called us again and said they were painting a UFO four to five miles over the coast traveling in a westerly direction. They vectored us to the position of the UFO and we proceeded but at that point we were low on fuel and were forced to return to Wurtsmith. I remember that while on final approach we saw the lights again near the Weapons Storage Area. Following the mission we discussed the incident and about a week later, Captain Higginbotham was questioned by the OSI and cautioned not to discuss the incident."

Oct. 30, 1975; Plattsburg AFB, NY
Cabell's "Memo for the Record" alludes to the other incidents at Loring AND Plattsburgh AFB, New York, during the same period of time. At this point, the question about the Plattsburg AFB incidents remain unanswered.
SAC Command Post notified the NMCC of reported low flying aircraft/helicopter sightings at Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan at 30234 EST. (See OPREP-3s in link above)

Oct. 31, 1975; 4 miles NW of Loring AFB, ME
At 11:17 p.m. EST, a visual sighting of an unidentified object was reported 4 nautical miles NW of Loring AFB, Me. The alert helo was launched to identify the object but was unable to make contact. The alert helo was launched again at 0146 hours EST, November 1, 1975, in response to a slow moving target picked up by RAPCON (Radar Approach Control). (See NMCC Assortment #1 Frames 16-17 of 40)

Nov. 1, 1975; Monarch, MT
Time not given. UFO hovered 75' away, one foot off ground. (NIDS UFO 92)

November 3, 1975, Received call from AAC/IN (Alaskan Air Command/Intelligence). They had sent message 012224, Subject: Unidentified Foreign Object to INYSA and wanted to know if INYSA had received it. They wanted guidance from INYSA.

Nov. 4, 1975; Ross, OH
Cylinder hovering at treetop level, windows, body lights visible. Skylook, MUFON, January 1976, p. 6 (E,L) car

Nov. 4, 1975; near Lussault-sur-Loire, France
At 6:50 p.m. a red disc-shaped object flanked by two nocturnal lights stopped in place, then descended slowly into some woods near Lussault-sur-Loire, France. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, February 1977).

Nov. 5, 1975; North of Redwater, Alberta, Canada
At 12:30 a.m. MST, Mr. Jim Divall while driving his vehicle 11 miles north of the town of Redwater saw a large black round rotating object and he had to drive into the ditch to avoid hitting the object. The object was approximately 40 feet long and in the shape of a circle. When Divall got out of his vehicle he heard a rushing sound and saw the object disappear. Duration of the sighting was approximately 3 minutes. RCMP REPORT (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/150)

Nov. 5, 1975; Nr. Raynesford, MT
4:10 a.m. At least six UFOs near ground. (NIDS UFO 14)

Nov. 5, 1975; 10 miles south of Bowden, Alberta, Canada
9:50 p.m. (Approximate) Mr. Wayne Morrow, observed an unidentified object flying 10 miles south of Bowden, Alberta. Mr. Morrow was proceeding northbound on NBR 2 Highway at the time of the sighting. The object was described as bullet shaped with a constant amount of orange colored flame at the rear of the object. The object was approximately 50 feet above the ground traveling in a southerly direction at 100 mph. The object was sighted for approximately 5 to 10 seconds. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/149)

An interesting aspect to the famous over flights and NORAD incidents is the close proximity, both in time and location, of two famous abduction cases:  Travis Walton & David Stephens. See next case entry.

Nov. 5, 1975; Snowflake (Heber), AZ
Travis Walton abduction case. One of the more persistently controversial UFO events in history took place in northeastern Arizona. A work team consisting of seven individuals reported encountering a reflective, luminous object the shape of a flattened disc hovering close to their truck on a remote dirt road in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest. According to the crew, one of their members, Travis Walton, exited the truck and approached the object on foot, at which time he was allegedly struck by a brilliant bluish light or flash and hurled to the ground some distance away. In fear, the other crew members fled the scene, returning after a short period of time to find no trace of the UFO, or of Walton. The driver of the truck was Mike Rogers, the crew foreman and a personal friend of Walton's. While fleeing the scene, Rogers reported looking back and seeing a luminous object lift out of the forest and speed rapidly toward the horizon. He, along with the other five witnesses, would eventually be subjected to polygraph (lie detection) examinations regarding the event, the successful outcomes of which catapulted the case into the national spotlight. Walton turned up five days later, confused and distraught but with fleeting memories of alien and exotic human entities. He was also subsequently subjected to a number of controversial polygraph examinations (Image caption: Travis Walton). (NICAP UFO Evidence II, Section XIII).

Nov. 6, 1975; Merxheim, France
10:00 p.m. A domed disc landed on three legs. The dome on the craft opened, and the head and shoulders of an occupant was seen partially emerging from it. The dome closed and the UFO rose up into the air, then took off toward the east-southeast (Source: Larry Hatch, U computer database, case #11518).

Nov. 6-7, 1975; Lewiston, MT
Captain Roscoe E. Moulthrop advised the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) that during the evening hours of November 6 and 7, two adjacent Launch Control Facilities approximately fifty miles south of Lewiston reported moving lights as UFOs. (Source: unknown)

Late October, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
Staff Sgt. Joseph M. Chassey, former Minuteman ICBM maintenance technician, 341st Missile Maintenance Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Montana: Chassey states that one night in the fall of 1975, he overhead a two-way radio transmission alerting Air Force Security Police about an unknown craft hovering over the bases Weapons Storage Area. Chassey said that the incident was widely discussed at the missile mechanical shop the following day. He later heard additional details about it from a friend, who was a helicopter refueler. Apparently, two base helicopters had been scrambled to chase the intruder, which rapidly flew toward Belt, Montana, some ten miles distant. As the pursuing choppers neared the town, the unidentified craft quickly doubled-back to Malmstrom leaving them far behind and again hovered over the WSA for a short period of time before finally departing. Chassey states that the object was described as an extremely bright light and was assumed to have been a bona fide UFO because of its superior capabilities. He emphasized, It flat outran the helicopters. We heard that it zipped out to Belt and back to the base in no time. Chassey, who separated from the Air Force at the end of October, 1975, believes that the incident occurred shortly before he left Malmstrom. (Robert Hastings files).
Nov. 7, 1975; Lewiston, MT
Remote electronic sensors triggered an alarm indicating that something was violating site security. Underground, in the launch control area, two officers noted the signal, but there was no television surveillance topside. The normal procedure for detecting what had violated security was to call for a missile security helicopter to check the area. At the same time, Sabotage Alert Teams (SAT), consisting of four to six men, were also alerted to the fact that a violation was taking place and were ordered to proceed to the site. On this occasion, an SAT team drove down the highway and onto a dirt road which led to the K-7 area. About a mile away, the team could see an orange, glowing object over the area. As they closed to within half a mile, they could now see that the object was tremendous in size. They radioed to the Launch Control Facility that, from their location, they were viewing a brightly glowing, orange, football field-sized disc that illuminated the missile site. The SAT team was ordered by the launch control people to proceed into the K-7 site. However, they responded that they refused to go any farther, clearly fearful of the intimidating appearance of the object. It began to rise, and at about 1,000 feet, NORAD picked up the UFO on radar. Two F-106 jet interceptors were launched from Great Falls, Montana, and headed toward the K-7 area. The UFO continued to rise. At about 200,000 feet, it disappeared from NORAD's radar. The F-106's were never able to get a visual sighting of the UFO. All members of the SAT team were directed to the base hospital, where they were psychologically tested. It was determined that no one could identify the object that was seen, but that the members of the SAT team obviously had been through a traumatic experience. Meanwhile, targeting teams, along with computer specialists, were brought to the missile site to check out the missile, and specifically, the computer in the warhead that targets the missile. Amazingly, when the computer was checked, they found that the tape had mysteriously changed target numbers! The re-entry vehicle was then taken from the silo and brought back to the base. Eventually the entire missile was changed.  (Clear Intemt, 27)

Note: The source and documentation for the report above, including the actual times, is being sought. As Brad Sparks pointed out recently, the big problem here is that the NORAD radar couldn't track a target up to "200,000 feet."  The Malmstrom AFB height-finder FPS-90 radar in operation in 1975 couldn't height-find anything above the maximum 75,000 ft shown on the display.

The following is taken directly from the 24th NORAD Region Senior Director's log: Zulu times are given but converted to local Mountain Standard Time.

Nov. 7, 1975; Moore, nr. Malmstrom AFB, MT
3:35 a.m. MST.  (Nov. 7, 1035Z) "Received a call from the 341st Strategic Air Command Post (SAC CP) saying that the following missile locations reported seeing a large red to orange to yellow object: M-1, L-3, LIMA, and L-6. The general object location would be 10 miles south of Moore, Montana, and 20 miles east of Buffalo, Montana. Commander Deputy [sic] for Operations (DO) informed." (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; W. of Great Falls, MT
3:38 a.m. Whitish gray UFO with blue lights. (NIDS UFO 15)

Nov. 7, 1975; Harlow, nr Malmstrom AFB, MT
5:03 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1203Z) SAC advised that the LCF at Harlow, Montana, observed an object which emitted a light which illuminated the site driveway. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
6:19 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1319Z) SAC advised K-1 saw a very bright object to their east is now southeast of them and they are looking at it with 10 x 50 binoculars. Object seems to have lights (several) on it, but no distinct pattern. The orange/gold object overhead also has small lights on it. SAC also advises female civilian reports having seen an object bearing south from her position 6 miles west of Lewiston. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
6:27 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1327Z) L-1 reports that the object to their northeast seems to be issuing a black object from it, tubular in shape. In all this time, surveillance has not been able to detect any sort of track except for known traffic. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
6:55 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1355Z) K-1 and L-1 report that as the sun rises, so do the objects they have visual. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
7:29 a.m. MST. (Nov. 7, 1429Z) From SAC CP: As the sun rose, the UFOs disappeared. Commander and DO notified. (CLEAR INTENT, 29)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
11:35 p.m. (0635Z, 8 NOV 75). 2335 MST. A security camper team at K-4 reported UFO with white lights, one red light 50 yards behind white light. Personnel at K-1 seeing same object. (Source unknown)

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
11:45 p.m. (0645Z, 8 NOV 75). MST. Height personnel picked up objects 10 - 13,000 feet, Track J330, EKLB 0648, 18 knots, 9,500 feet. Objects as many as seven, as few as two A/C. (Source unknown)

Nov. 7, 1975; Lewiston missile site, MT
4:05 a.m. MST. From SAC CP: E-1 reported a bright white light (site is approximately 60 nautical miles north of Lewiston). NCOC notified..

Nov. 7, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
Time not given. Then, yet another sighting was reported. An off-duty missile launch officer and his deputy had just retired for crew rest in the Soft Support Building (SSB). The deputy went to the window and observed the silhouette of a large aircraft hovering about ten to fifteen feet above the ground and about twenty-five feet outside the Launch Control Facility. He described two red and white lights at the front of the aircraft, a white light on the bottom, and white light on the rear. The craft hovered motionless in this position for about one minute and then departed. The missile launch officer did not personally observe the aircraft, but from its sound, he speculated that it was a helicopter. The deputy also felt that the sounds he heard were those of a helicopter. The deputy's observations were limited by the darkness of the night, which prevented any good description of the craft or its shape.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
At 12:53 a.m. MST. (0253 EST) Malmstrom AFB, Montana received seven radar cuts on the height-finder radar at altitudes between 9,500 and 15,500 feet. Simultaneous ground witnesses observed lights in the sky and the sound of jet engines similar to jet fighters. Cross-tell with FAA revealed no jet aircraft within 100 NM of the sighting. Radar tracked the objects over Lewiston, Montana, at a speed of 7 knots. Two F-106 interceptors from the 24th NORAD Region were scrambled at 0254 EST, and became airborne at 0257 EST. At the time of the initial voice report, personnel at Malmstrom AFB and SAC sites K-1, K-3, L-3, and L-6 were reporting lights in the sky accompanied by jet engine noise. (CLEAR INTENT, 30; NMCC Docs751108.pdf)

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
1:44 a.m. MST. (0344 EST) Objects could not be intercepted. Fighters had to maintain a minimum of 12,000 feet because of mountainous terrain. Sightings had turned west, increased speed to 150 knots. Two tracks were apparent on height-finder radars 10-12 NM apart. SAC site K-3 reported sightings between 300 feet and 1,000 feet, while site L-4 reported sightings 5 NM from the position. Sightings disappeared from radar at position 4650 N/10920 W at a tracked speed of three (3) knots. (CLEAR INTENT, 31; NMCC Docs751108.pdf)

Nov. 8, 1975 
2:40 a.m. MST (0440 EST)  NMCC initiated contact with the NORAD Command Director who reported the following:

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
2:05 a.m. MST (0405 EST). "At 4:05 EST, SAC Site L-5 observed one object accelerate, and climb rapidly to a point in altitude where it became indistinguishable from the stars. NORAD will carry this incident as a FADE remaining UNKNOWN at 3:20 EST since after that time only visual sightings occurred." (Note: There is an Air Force term used to describe an incident in which a nuclear device is tampered with. This term is "Faded Giant," a phrase which very appropriately describes the K-7 report. [Clear Intent, 28; (NMCC Docs751108.pdf)]) 

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
At 2:05 MST (0405 EST). Malmstrom receiving intermittent tracks on both search and height-finder radars. SAC site C-1, 10NM SE of Stanford, Montana, reported visual sightings of unknown objects.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
2:20 MST (0420 EST) Personnel at 4 SAC sites reported observing intercepting F-106s arrive in area; sighted objects turned off their lights upon arrival of interceptors, and back on upon their departure.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
2:40 MST (0440 EST) SAC site C-1 still had a visual sighting on objects.

At 6:00 a.m. EST, the National Military Command Center in Washington, D.C., distributed a "Memorandum for the Record." The subject was "Unidentified Sightings." This memo addressed the incidents above.(NMCC Docs751108.pdf)

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
8:35 p.m. SAT teams at sites K-3 and L-4 were reporting that they had visual sightings on the objects, with K-3 reporting targets at an altitude of 300 feet. As the F-106s arrived at the location, SAT teams reported that the UFOs turned their lights off. The F-106s, in searching for the unknowns, never gained a visual or radar contact at any time because of the low altitude of the UFOs. However, when they left the area, the UFOs would turn their lights back on! At 9:15 P.M., four different locations were reporting that they had the UFOs and fighters in sight. The UFOs seemed to be playing a cat-and-mouse game.

Nov. 8, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
9:53 p.m. The team at L-5 reported to the Command Post that the unknowns had increased in speed, climbed rapidly, and, at that point, could not be distinguished from the stars. A while later, the team at site E-l reported at 11:05 P.M. that a bright white light was seen approximately sixty nautical miles north of Lewiston.

Nov. 9, 1975; Malmstrom AFB, MT
3:05 a.m. SAC crews at sites L-l, L-6, and M-l observed a UFO. They described it as being a yellowish, bright, round light twenty miles north of Harlowton at an altitude of 2,000 to 4,000 feet. At 3:20 a.m., the SAC Command Post reported the UFO twenty miles southeast of Lewiston. The color of the object was reported as orange-white, and its appearance was round or disc-shaped. (CLEAR INTENT, 31)

The only response that the Air Force would give to public inquiries was: "All documentation at Malmstrom AFB has been destroyed in accordance with Air Force directives for the dates of the UFO sightings mentioned . . ."  Since when are all records of a serious incident or series of incidents of this magnitude destroyed? We must conclude that either there is gross incompetence in the military's handling of such situations, or that the UFOs, in these instances, presented so considerable a threat to the national security of the United States that the Air Force felt compelled to deliberately misinform the public, and, as a result, violated the Freedom of Information Act by stating that existing records had been destroyed. (CLEAR INTENT, 31)

Nov. 10, 1975; Minot AFB, ND
A long entry from the 24th NORAD Region Senior Director's Log said: "UFO sighting reported by Minot Air Force Station, a bright star-like object in the west, moving east, about the size of a car. First seen approximately 1015. Approximately 1120, the object passed over the radar station, 1000-2000 feet high, no noise heard. Three people from the site on local area saw the object. National Command Operations Center notified."

Nov. 11, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
3:00 a.m. EST. Six nurses at the Pioneer Manor Sudbury, observed a very bright object over the Sudbury Stadium. The object seemed to hover at first and then suddenly shot into the sky. It was still visible when the Sudbury Regional Police arrived at 4:55 a.m. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 11, 1975; near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
5:00 a.m. EST. Constables Keables and Whiteside, Sudbury Regional Police, observed a cylindrical-shaped object with shafts of light bright enough to light up clouds in immediate area. The object appeared to travel in circles and at one point came quite close. Observations were made with the use of binoculars. (National Research Council of Canada, Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 11, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
4:55 a.m. EST. Sudbury Regional Police constables came on a follow up call by six nurses at the Pioneer Manor to check on a reported UFO. The constables observed four objects clearly in the sky. Three of the objects remained stationary while a fourth moved at times with a jerky motion. The objects were still plainly visible after day break when all regular bright objects in the sky had disappeared. The objects were observed intermittently for one hour. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 11, 1975; CFS Falconbridge, Ontario, Canada
6:15 a.m. EST. A spherical shaped object was observed from Canadian Force Station (CFS) Falconbridge. The object appeared to be rotating and had a surface similar to the moon. The object was ascending and descending. The object was observed on height finder radar at altitudes from 42,000 feet to 72,000 feet. (National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov.11, 1975; Beltsville, MD
Lawrence Albert sighted a solid, spherical, evenly distributed green light. The object was much brighter than the sky background and was sharply outlined. The witness stated the apparent size of the object was that of a quarter held at arm's length. The speed of the object was twice that of a jet plane. His first impression was that perhaps he was observing a falling star. Albert stated that because it moved so slowly and because it was perfectly round with no trail, he realized it could not be a star. Albert estimated the object's distance at a mile and one half high. (Reference: UFO INVESTIGATOR, January 1976, page 1)

Nov. 11, 1975; Freeze Out Lake, MT
A Montana Fish and Game Department employee saw a light flying directly behind a B-52 bomber. Using his rifle scope to get a better look, he noted that the strange object seemed to be pacing the aircraft. The object then briefly attached itself to the B-52, detached itself, and climbed out of sight. The sighting was reported to to Sheriff Pete Howard of Choteau County. Howard conducted follow-up interviews with military personnel and learned that as the object attached itself to the B-52, the plane's radar equipment went out. (Reference: Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood, Clear Intent, page 35)

More entries appeared in the NORAD regional Senior Director's Log.

Nov. 11, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
7:05 a.m. EST. (1205z) "Received unusual sighting report from Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada. Info passed to NORAD Command Director, Intelligence and Weather."

Nov. 11, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
1:40 p.m. (1840z) "Actions pertaining to scramble of JL08 and 09 due to unusual object sighting. With Director of Operations approval, Scrambled JL08/09 at 1745z (12:45 p.m. EST) airborne at 1750z (12:50 p.m. EST). NORAD Combat Operations Center notified of Falconbridge AFS incident. Aircraft over Falconbridge flying over incident, point no sighting, 1831 aircraft still in area, no radar aircraft or visual contact. Falconbridge AFS still reporting object at 26,000 ft."

Nov. 15, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
3:02 a.m. EST (event time). Message: "0533z (12:33 a.m. EST)...UFO report from Falconbridge, occurrence time 0202z. Report sent to NCOC Surveillance, referred to Assistant Command Director Space Defense Center, and Intelligence. These three individuals considered the report a UFO report and not an unknown track report."

On November 13, 1975, NORAD issued a press release to the media in Sudbury, Ontario. It stated:

Nov. 12, 1975;  Falconbridge AFB, Ontario, Canada
"At 4:05 a.m. Nov. 11, the Canadian Forces radar site at Falconbridge, Ontario, reported a radar track of an unidentified object about 25-30 nautical miles south of the site, ranging in altitude from 25,000 to 72,000 feet. Persons at the site also saw the object and said it appeared as a bright star but much closer. Two F-106 aircraft of the US Air Force Air National Guard's 171st Fighter Interceptor squadron at Selfridge ANGB, Michigan, were scrambled; but the pilots reported no contact with the object." The release was approved by NORAD's commander in charge.

On February 21, 1976, UFO researcher Robert Todd filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act for NORAD Command Director's logs. The logs were released to Todd on March 26, 1976, and confirmed that Canada was also having problems with UFOs. Taken from the logs are incidents related to UFO activity in the area of the Falconbridge Air Force Station, a radar site near North Bay, Ontario, Canada (times listed are Greenwich Zulu, 5 hours ahead of EST).

Nov. 12, 1975; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
7:15 a.m. 23rd NORAD Region. UFO Reported from Radar site at Falconbridge Ontario, Canada (Sudbury). Reported by Mr. Julian Prince of Sudbury thru Ontario Provincial Police (also observed by 2 OPP constables ZADOW & BRETT) 2 objects seen appeared to be artificial light fading on and off with jerky motion. Broken cloud layer with no estimated base. No radar contact made and no request for fighter scramble initiated.

Nov. 13, 1975; Midwestern and southern United States
On this night in 1975 a number of multi-colored nocturnal lights were reported in the Midwestern and southern United States. Sparkling white, red, and yellow lights flew in formation erratically in Whitewater, Wisconsin. Red, green, and white lights were sighted in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, moving up-and-down and diagonally. In Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin bright white lights that dimmed, disappeared, and then re-appeared were sighted. In Mobile, Alabama a UFO, changing colors, moved across the horizon. A round silver object was seen moving slowly in the northwest sky in Orlando, Florida. It suddenly disappeared. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 13.)

Nov. 14, 1975; Falconbridge AFS, Ontario, Canada
9:02 p.m. EST (event time). Message of Nov. 15: "0533z (12:33 a.m. EST)...UFO report from Falconbridge, occurrence time 0202z. Report sent to NCOC Surveillance, referred to Assistant Command Director Space Defense Center, and Intelligence. These three individuals considered the report a UFO report and not an unknown track report."

Nov. 15, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
6:30 a.m. EST. Lyman Paquette, his wife, plus his brother and sister in law observed one bright white object that looked like a cup in a bowl due east at 70 degrees elevation. Witnesses using binoculars observed the object climb quite high and can hardly now be seen without the aid of binoculars. The object was observed for 20 minutes. (National Research Council of Canada, Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742 N75/182)

Nov. 15, 1975; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
7:42 a.m. UFO 23rd NORAD REGION. From Falconbridge Radar Site a civilian, Oliver Kizioja, Sudbury, Ontario, at 0615 was standing in back yard facing south. Observed one bright yellow object moving up and back, leaving a tail. It was very high but did not change position in regard to other stars. He watched for 15 minutes, then called radar site. Not observed on radar.

Nov. 15, 1975; Sudbury, Ontario; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
11:30 a.m. event. 12:29 p.m. 23rd NORAD REGION. From Falconbridge. At 1130, Lyman Paqutte, married student, residence Laurentian Univ., Sudbury, Ontario. Reported he had been looking due east, sky partly cloudy, saw one bright white object about 70░ elevation, high out of range of binoculars. It climbed high out of range of binoculars. Observed for 20 minutes and witnessed by his wife, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Negative radar contact.

Nov. 15, 1975; Pacific, MO
A red flying object approached a car driven by a Mrs. Prichard with three passengers in Pacific, Missouri, then ejected several white balls of light (BOLs). The metal of the car was magnetized after the encounter. (Sources: Lumieres dans la Nuit, September 1976; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports)

Nov. 15, 1975; Marseille, France
A disc-shaped UFO rose from the sea near a large radio antenna in Marseille, France. It circled, then made a 90 degree turn to the south and flew out to sea.

Nov. 16, 1975; Curiel, Valladolid, Spain
Red ellipse hovering 1-1.5 km. away; suddenly flew away. Flying Saucer Review, Vol. 22,  No. 6;  see Rodeghier, 1981, p. 66 (E) car

Nov. 16, 1975; Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada
9:30 p.m. EST. 17 November 1975 1705 23rd NORAD region; UFO reported 0230z from a Mr. John Dunlops, address: Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada. Two objects, oval shaped with two yellow flashing lights, moving north to south, then became stationary, observed for 10 minutes, one above the other, sky was cloudyŚno radar contact. Toronto AMIS advised no known traffic in area.

Nov. 17, 1975; Falconbridge Air Force Station, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
24 NORAD Region UFO at 132345z (too many digits!!!) Large orange ball with 2 red lights stationary; Azimuth 045░ from River Court, Ontario. No radar contact. Called in to 24th NORAD at 16-1700z. (11-12:00 EST)

Nov. 18, 1975; Kevin/Dunkirk area, MT
4:31 a.m. UFO. RAPCON notified. (NIDS UFO 20)

Nov. 18, 1975; Strathclair, Manitoba, Canada
At 6:30 a.m. Reginald Jack Langstaff while traveling in a vehicle observed a bright orange to red object with a curved dome shaped top and the sides were sloped 70 to 80 degrees. There was a lip around the bottom. The object seemed to be approximately 150 feet in the air and was traveling east towards the observer, so he started to travel away from it. He stopped after traveling a quarter of a mile and noticed the object was traveling southwest and disappeared in that direction. Langstaff observed the object for approximately 5 minutes. (Reference: Royal Canadian Mounted Police report, November 26, 1975. Shoal Lake Detachment RCMP File References: 75-700-126, National Research Council of Canada Record Group 77, Vol. 308, reel number 1742)

Nov. 19, 1975; Oak Brook, IL
On this night in 1975 in Oak Brook, Illinois, a boy saw a domed disc hovering near his home. The UFO had a red light on top and two clear lights on the side. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, p. 13).

Nov. 20, 1975; Camilla, GA
The police chief of Camilla, Georgia reported that a big, round UFO hovered just 80 meters above his police station at two a.m. It had bright lights on the top and bottom. It flew away slowly to the southeast and was in view for three minutes. (Source: Michael Hitt, Georgia UFO Phenomenon 1947-1987, p. 73).

Nov. 22, 1975; Savannah, GA
Pilots observe UFO near nuclear plant

Nov. 25, 1975; Goodridge, MN
On this night in a field nine miles west of Goodridge, Minnesota, a disc-shaped object eight feet in diameter was seen in a field. It rose off the ground, then re-landed. The witness's car stalled, and later required major tune-up repair work. (Source: Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, p. 66).

Dec. 4, 1975; Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, Canada
11:05 p.m. Wayne Major, reporter for the North Bay Nugget, observed two quiet triangular shaped objects moving SE. The North Bay Tower advised one light aircraft in the area who reported sighting something else in the area. Possibility of pictures.

Dec. 5, 1975; Clarkston, GA
Evening. An object that looked like a Ferris wheel on its side was sighted on this night. It had yellow and amber colored lights spinning around it as the object moved forward. (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, pp. 11 & 14).

Dec. 5, 1975; Montville, NJ
Evening. A flying object with two large clear lights in front, and a red light in the rear was encountered this evening. A string of lights connected the three large lights and would change colors from red to green to brown to yellow. The UFO moved erratically, in rapid short spurts (Source: CUFOS News Bulletin, February 1976, pp. 11 & 14).

Dec. 7, 1975; Choteau, MT
5:57 p.m. Slow-moving UFO. RAPCON on radar. (NIDS UFO 22)

Dec. 8, 1975; Simms area, MT
6:00 a.m. UFO landed on ground, like bean. (NIDS UFO 33)

Dec. 9, 1975; Freezout Lake, MT
5:00 p.m. UFO flying near B-52. (NIDS UFO 35)

Dec. 9, 1975; Coming from Missoula, MT
8:43 p.m. UFO, tan or orange, 500'. (NIDS UFO 28)

Dec. 11, 1975; Great Falls, MT
7:00 p.m. Great Falls International Airport. UFO sighted, oblong object 10' above ground. (NIDS UFO 44)

Dec. 15, 1975; La Neuvelot, France
11:00 p.m. On a farm, a five-meter in diameter disc landed in a field. It rose up fast and shot away toward the west-southwest. At the same time there were several unexplained nocturnal lights in the sky.

Dec. 17, 1975; Sao Paulo, Brazil
In the city of Americana, 16-year old Mr. Salles de Andrade encountered an intense beam of light while walking home at night and woke up the next day in a thicket, 28 kilometers away. He had no recollection for the time that he had been missing, but he had strange marks on his forehead and arms, and experienced headaches. (Richard Hall, MUFON UFO Journal, August 1976, p. 19).

Dec. 18, 1975; Ancy, France
7:45 a.m. A "dah-dit" noise accompanied the slow ascent of an eight-meter wide, gray domed disc over a residential area. The object had square shaped windows. It flew away toward the southeast. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, May 1976).

Dec. 18, 1975; Dutton, MT
??? a.m. UFO, radar lock, Penroy. Pentagon notified of UFO. (NIDS UFO 40)

Dec. 19, 1975; Roy to Fergus, MT
11:30 p.m. SAC men witnessed UFO on ground. (NIDS UFO 43)

Dec.23, 1975; Great Falls, MT
6:00 a.m. Great Falls International Airport. Egg-shaped UFO on ground. (NIDS UFO 46)

Dec. 23, 1975; Goodridge, MN
Flat, round, orange object passed nearby, engine restarted by itself. Rodeghier, 1981, p. 67 (E,L) car

Dec. 23, 1975; Goodridge, MN
Night. Three 19-year-old girls driving together noticed a bright light in the sky, and their car's engine and lights failed. The light came closer and they saw it was an orange colored object, flat on top and round on the sides. It also had several flashing yellow lights and appeared to be 20-30 feet in diameter. After passing only 25 feet from the car, it suddenly vanished, whereupon and the car's lights and engine spontaneously came back on by themselves. (Sources: Warren (Minnesota) Sheaf, December 31, 1975; Mark Rodeghier, UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference, case 391).

Dec. 24, 1975; Bar-sur-Aube, France
8:00 p.m. (+) A huge disc covered the entire N19 highway. It vanished at 8:10 p.m. when a car approached. (Source: Lumieres dans la Nuit, May 1976).

Dec. 24, 1975; Cotes-du-Nord, France
10:00 p.m. Power circuit breakers were tripped four times when a glowing ball of light came down near the ground in Ploubazlanec, Cotes-du-Nord, France. A 0.2 meter area of burnt grass was found at the site were it apparently touched down. (Source: Jean-F. Boedec, Les OVNI en Bretagne: Anatomie d'un Phenomene, p. 75).

* Project Blue Book closed down on Jan 30, 1970 as NICAP established (UFO investigator May 1970 p. 5).


1. Volume II, The UFO Evidence, A Thirty-Year Report - Richard Hall, 2000

2. CUFOS report, Rodeghier,

3. NUFORC, Reports gleaned from National UFO Reporting Center, Seattle, WA, Peter Davenport

4. AR Case (Animal Reaction [Category 4]; Joan Woodward, AR Specialist..

5. NIDS (National Institute for Discovery Science)

Back to NICAP Chronology Home Page 

Back to NICAP Home